Position Summary: Jackson State University invites applications for the Dean position in the School of Public Health.
The School of Public Health provides a learning environment that supports interdisciplinary communication, development of professional public health concepts, values and the resolution of health care issues. The School of Public Health offers undergraduate degrees in Healthcare Administration and Communicative Disorders and graduate degrees In public health (MPH and DrPH)-recently reaffirmed by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), and Communicative Disorders (MS)-reaffirmed by the Council of Academic Accreditation (CM) in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology.
Located in metropolitan Jackson, Jackson State University (JSU) is a state-supported institution in Mississippi with an enrollment of over 8,000 students. JSU is “Mississippi’s Urban University” and has been designated as a “higher research intensive institution” by the Carnegie Foundation. Jackson State is a diverse, technologically-advanced four-year university steeped in history and committed to preparing its students to become global leaders. The university provides a caring, nurturing environment where students are challenged to improve themselves and serve others.
Jackson State continues to enhance the state, nation and world through comprehensive economic development, healthcare, technological and educational initiative.
The Division of Academic Affairs is under the purview of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the chief academic and strategy officer for the University. All academic and related units, (including the schools and departments, the library, undergraduate studies, graduate studies, international initiatives, faculty development, academic program development and review, and academic diversity) report to the Provost.
The Dean serves as the chief academic officer of the school and is responsible for the administration of the academic programs within his/her specific school and for integrating the plans of the school with those of the university. The Dean ensures that the policies, guidelines and regulations established by the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning, the Office of the President, and the Division of Academic Affairs are followed. The Dean also has oversight of personnel, financial, and administrative affairs of the School. The Dean is responsible for communicating the vision and goals of the school to students, faculty, the community and professional constituencies.
- Candidates for the position of Dean will have a terminal degree and minimum of seven to ten years of post-degree experience directly specific to the school.
- Seven to ten years (7-10) of significant work experience in higher education that would qualify you for the academic rank of associate or full professor.
- A background of school-level research and teaching in your area(s) of expertise as it relates to programs specific to the school.
- A minimum of five (5) years of successful managerial and administrative experience as a department chair assistant/associate Dean, or other comparable administrative experience.
- A demonstrated ability to raise private funds for professorships, programs, facilities and other school needs.
- A record of current and past scholarly/creative and professional activities.
- A demonstrated record of strong and consistent teamwork and collaboration with faculty, administrators, staff and students.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees academic program planning and evaluation, curriculum development, student learning outcomes assessment, implementation of general education requirements and academic scheduling.
- Fosters a culture of engagement both on and off campus by including faculty, staff and students in discussions of important collegiate issues and ensuring a positive, high-quality working environment.
- Oversees strategic discussions about the future academic directions of departments, programs and the school itself.
- Advocates for the school, by joining or participating in university-wide processes in strategic planning, budget, facilities planning and political action, to position the school favorably in the university’s broader planning.
- Focuses on enrollment management initiatives and program growth.
- Raise private funds for scholarships, professorships, programs, facilities and other school needs.
- Establishes a strategic direction for the School that results in initiatives that enhance student academic success, teaching excellence and scholarships.
- Promotes the school nationally and international as leader in education, research and service.
- Serves in a key oversight role in accreditation, program review and other processes that are important for continuous improvement of the school’s activities.
- Engages with the Deans Council in key discussions of institutional planning, policy, and other key activities.
- Recruits and hires effective chairs, faculty, program directors, staff and others who are direct reports to ensure accountability for high-level performance within the school.
- Coordinates all components of the school: departments, academic programs (including undergraduate, graduate and professional), economic development activities, public service and other activities of the unit.
- Provides efficient fiscal and budget management for the School.
- Develops and implements, via faculty, creative methods and processes for resource allocation necessary to advance academic programs, including scholarly research.
- Fosters partnerships with area schools, Schools, Universities and businesses
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
How to Apply:
Candidates may apply online at https://jsums.peopleadmin.com
Nominations for this position may be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line Dean, School of Public Health.