The Database Administrator for the RCMI CC /Data Coordinating Center in the College of Science, Engineering & Technology (CSET), is responsible for the technical design, planning, implementation, and the highest level of performance tuning and recovery procedures for mission critical enterprise systems. This position serves as a technical expert in the area of hardware/software system administration, database administration and management of complex enterprise systems; and recommends the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field.
• Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in Oracle database management, Database Development, System administration or equivalent.
• Experience VMware Data Center Virtualization and Administration.
• Experience and knowledge in management, setup, and administration of LAN, WAN, WLAN, and VPN networks.
• Experience in Server backup, disaster recovery, and troubleshooting.
Skills and Abilities:
Ability to lift up to a maximum of ninety pounds (90 lbs).
• Management and administration of the RCMI CC server infrastructure and its related databases. Install software upgrades, fixes and new software releases; scheduling back-ups; perform day-to day maintenance activities and any validation testing that may be required.
• Manage the day-to-day operations of host computers by monitoring system performance, maintenance, and repair. Ensures that records of system/network downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained, develop new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Train users on how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired
• Perform systems related operational tasks and activities (e.g. conducting SAS data view extracts, monitoring log files, identifying and resolving problems, database performance tuning, application monitoring and migration between environments, deploying new database systems, establishing and maintaining database services, recovery of critical and non-critical data in crash scenarios, and supporting clinical study users, designers, and analysts on applications and database issues).
• Handling application exceptions in our development, validation and production environments; handling support requests of RCMI CC ’s users; escalating and following up on customer problems with IT infrastructure and development groups; taking ownership of production issues; ensuring closure is achieved for outstanding bugs and infrastructural problems; assisting in application specific projects such as deployments, capacity planning, testing, and benchmarking.
• Manage the infrastructure and servers of all eagle-I nodes, administration of system user accounts, and granting appropriate privileges. Require interaction with a remote technical team.
• Perform troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations.
• Establish guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the RCMI CC host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries and other components. Configure, install and deploy servers with Linux (Fedora, Centos, Debian and Oracle Linux), VMware, and Windows server 03 — 12 environments.
• Develop procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
• Provide training for Center staff and other remote partners for hardware and software applications as needed. Interact with remote teams, work groups, partners, and clients.
• Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and attend training sessions, seminars and workshops.
• Develop and coordinate project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of ISTI and the Director of Data Coordinating Center.
For more information and/or to apply, visit https://jsums.peopleadmin.com/postings/4915.
employment type: full-time